What is an Adjustment Disorder?
An adjustment disorder is a short term condition that occurs when a person is having difficulty coping with a life stressor. Sometimes in life we all need to talk over our life challenges, and professional help is often required to assist in this process.
Some of the main life stressors that people will often need professional help to overcome include:
- Relationship breakdown
- Death of a loved one
- Development of a significant illness or injury
- Job loss
- Living through a disaster
- Having a significant change in circumstances such as severe financial loss, change in career, having a baby, moving cities or countries
What are the symptoms to watch out for?
Some of the symptoms that may persist when someone isn’t coping with life stressors include:
- Disturbed sleep
- Changed appetite, eating patterns (including comfort eating)
- Excess worry/rumination
- Getting snappy/upset over trivial things
- Low or anxious mood
- Crying easily
- Difficulty stopping self from thinking about the stressor
- Not seeing a way forward past the stressor
- Struggling with indecisiveness about important life decisions
- Development of negative thinking patterns
- Social withdrawal
- Being emotionally numb or excessively emotional
- Having thoughts of wanting to run away from it all
How are Adjustment Disorders treated?
Here at Go Psychology you will receive cutting edge evidence based treatment for Adjustment Disorders at a very affordable price. Learning to cope and adjust to the life stressor so that the person can move forward positively with life is the main treatment target.
Most people are well on their way to gaining the knowledge and skills to assist them to recover from the life stressor within the 10 sessions that are permitted under Medicare each calendar year.
Psychological treatment is totally natural and non-harmful. You will learn valuable tools to assist you to navigate your way through the life stressor head on. You will learn how to empower yourself and gain the resilience tools needed to overcome the most difficult of life’s challenges, and you will have a highly experienced Clinical Psychologist to guide you on this journey to move forward in your life.